A note from our Chair:
Please join me for our monthly LU & TC meeting this Thurs. May 18th from 7-9 pm at the German American Society, 5626 NE Alameda. There are no land use reviews pending at this time and the Umqua Bank redevelopment to Mixed Use Apartments has been rescheduled to our June meeting. What we have scheduled include:
1. Planning Liaison Nan Stark and neighbor on NE 50th Emily Courtnage will be there to discuss the Erata Map (zoning) on the easterly most Peterson property that is still pending City Council review.
2. Draft LU & TC review guidelines & process
3. Update on the Residential Infill process: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/67728
4. Comment Options:
A. Portland Transportation Funding? https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/72775
B. Better Housing by Design – June 1 & 3 Open Houses: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/71903
Please let me know if you have any additions or comments.
Tamara DeRidder, AICP
Co-Chair, LU & TC
Please see the RCPNA board meeting agenda for May here.
May 2, 2017 RCPNA Boardmeeting Agenda
As always, anyone from the neighborhood is welcomed to join!
We have an eventful agenda for this month’s Rose City Park Neighborhood Association General Meeting, including a visit from Mayor Ted Wheeler. Everyone is welcomed to attend!
Click here for the full agenda
German American Society, 5626 NE Alameda St.
Doors open at 6:30pm. Meeting from 7-9 pm.
Reminder to mark those calendars for the cleanup date coming up soon. Here is our great new poster for the event with more info.
Click the image to view full size.
Were you excited about the recent neighborhood tree survey? Want to get to know your neighborhood trees?
Come join the FREE Rose City Park Tree Walk! Be sure to register here.
We’ll meet inside of the Rose City Park United Methodist Church to have some snacks and coffee (provided by Urban Forestry), and then head out for a walk in the neighborhood.
When: 9:00 am – 12:00 am, April 8th, 2017
Location: Rose City Park United Methodist Church | 5830 NE Alameda St, Portland, OR 97213
At 3pm on Saturday May 13th the ‘Liedertafel Harmonie’ will present their Spring 2017 Concert. Come and enjoy the beautiful music of Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert and more. Coffee and cake is included with your $10. admission (under age 7 – free).
Bring family and friends for a musical treat to celebrate the Springtime in our City of Roses.
The German American Society of Portland, 5626 N.E. Alameda St., Portland, Oregon 97213
An awesome FREE workshop that is coming to the Hollywood Neighborhood next month.
The wonderful folks at the Northeast Community Center are hosting a FREE Beneficial Insects Workshop on Saturday, April 29th.
Beneficial Insects Workshop
Did you know that beneficial insects work around the clock to protect your garden from pests? Meet the beetles, bugs, flies, lacewings and other invertebrates that provide free pest control. You will discover ways to attract these friendly beneficial insects that help your garden thrive.
Date: Saturday, 4/29
Time: 9:00 – 11:30am
Location: Northeast Community Center
Address: 1630 NE 38th Ave
On January 21, 2017, the Grant High School Constitution Team won the Oregon state championship in the “We the People: The Citizen & the Constitution” competition. There was very strong competition at state this year, and the students feel great pride and accomplishment to represent Oregon in Washington D.C. in late April for the national competition. Grant High School has traditionally finished among the top schools in the nation, and we have high hopes for our team’s placement this year.
To get there, the team needs to raise $80,000 to send 32 students, our teacher, and volunteer coaches to Washington DC. The RCPNA Board recently voted in support of providing a donation to the team’s efforts.
If you are interested in joining the Board and helping these students, you can donate online at: https://grantboosters.schoolauction.net/con2017/give. If you would prefer to send a check, they can be written to Grant Constitution team and sent to:
Grant Constitution Team
℅ Shauna Ewing
4003 SE Ash St.
Portland, Oregon 97214
Congrats again to the Grant High School Team! Learning about the Constitution will serve as a strong foundation for these students’ future role as citizens and civic leaders in the years ahead.
Special Board Meeting for next Tues., March 21st from 7:00 – 8:00 pm at the German American Society, 5626 NE Alameda St. This meeting has been added to the official city-wide calendar.
Topic: Reconsideration of a RCPNA 2015 Approved Recommendation to Rezone of 3 properties owned by Rich and Blair Peterson, located at the corner of NE 50th and Fremont St., from R2 to Mixed Use Commercial as a map amendment to the Comprehensive Plan Update.
Timing: Opportunity to ‘File an Objection’ closes within 21 days of the City’s pending submission of Task 4 and 5 of the Periodic Review/2035 Comprehensive Plan to the State of Oregon.
7:00 – 8:00 pm
1. Welcome & Introductions (open the public meeting)
2. Historic record and actions regarding the Peterson Rezone from R2 to Mixed Use Commercial.
3. Existing options for comment or appeal/objection to the state.
4. Board Next Steps:
- Decide whether to reopen the public meeting regarding LU &TC recommended approval for zone change from R2h to Mixed Use Neighborhood Commercial for 5024 NE Fremont, vacant lot (TL# R260906) and 3430 NE 50th Ave.
- If yes, actions include:
- Open the public review on the matter to receive testimony, including attached documents.
- Close public review on the matter when all questions and concerns have been raised
- Render a decision:
- No change from the previous rezone recommendation of approval
- Support the rezone of some of the properties from R2 to Mixed Use Commercial
- Reverse decision – opposing the rezone of all three properties from R2
- If no, actions include:
- Opportunity for public discussion regarding the process and issues at hand
- Make a motion to adjourn the meeting